Stories and Ideas is the digital publication of the Center for Humans and Nature. We publish creative work that explores and promotes human responsibilities in relation to the whole community of life. Publication themes include: relationships with and among animals and plants/land and water, care, climate change, community, Cosmos, culture, healing, justice, kinship, language, practice, reciprocity, sacred, sovereignty, and urban nature. Honoraria are given for work published in Stories and Ideas.
We are accepting submissions from July 1–September 6, 2022. Please read our complete guidelines below before submitting your work.
We are accepting submissions for the following categories:
- Essays: We welcome submissions of original essays, narrative journalism, experimental nonfiction, lyric essays, and personal essays that have not been published elsewhere (including personal blogs, websites, and social media). Essays should be 1,000–2,000 words.
- Poetry: This submission period, we would like to see poems that explore reciprocity. We seek work that expands and challenges the English language as a tool for communication and relationship, and we encourage you to send work that interweaves languages. Please submit up to 4 poems.
- Art: We consider any form of visual or auditory art which can be captured and shared on our digital platform. Formats include photography, sculpture, paintings, collage, sketches, film, music, cartoon, etc. Please include an artist’s statement of 500–1,500 words describing the work.
- Interviews: We consider publishing edited transcripts of audio conversations that have not been published elsewhere in print. We edit interviews to under 5,000 words.
- Reviews: We print reviews of books that focus on our publishing themes. We are also interested in seeing reviews of film, podcast series, exhibits, performances, dance, music, or other forms of art. Please include links or other documentation of the reviewed work with your submission. Reviews should be under 2,000 words.
For our current submission period, we are especially interested in seeing any work on the theme of Cosmos: As humans travel beyond Earth into Space, where the origins of our world lie, how do we respect and honor the expanse of the Cosmos? How can we reincorporate the Cosmos as part of our contemporary human story? We seek responses to these questions that offer deepened connection with the Cosmos—through emotional, spiritual, cultural, historical, and scientific perspectives.
Submission and Editing Process:
Please submit to only one category per submission period: essay, poetry, art, interviews, or reviews.
Previously published work will not be considered. Simultaneous submissions are welcome but please let us know in your cover letter that you are also submitting the piece elsewhere and withdraw it as soon as you have agreed to its publication elsewhere.
Please submit in a .docx format via our Submittable account, including your submission of a bio and cover letter. We will edit your work in either Microsoft Word or Google Docs. We only publish accepted pieces that have also completed all the steps of the Stories and Ideas editorial process.
Contributors receive an honorarium upon publication.
We are accepting submissions from July 1–September 6, 2022.
We aim to respond to all submissions within four months, but this can take longer depending upon submission volume received. We occasionally adjust submissions windows; and if we do so, the new dates will be posted here.